" . . .the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction." Elder M. Russell Ballard

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pillows, Firemen, and Music

Last night when I was tucking my six-year-old daughter into bed I listened to her nightly prayers as I usually do. I was touched when she listed these three things at the end of her prayer: “I'm thankful for pillows, I'm thankful for firemen, and I'm thankful for music.” My first thought was how cute this somewhat random list was and i smiled at this precious moment. I repeated the three things in my mind over and over again so I could remember them and write them down later. Then, as I was writing them down in my journal it occurred to me how beautiful and insightful this little list really is.


I am also thankful for pillows. Pillows represent all the comfortable things that I enjoy in my life. Thinking of pillows I also think of beds, blankets, and fresh, clean sheets. I am thankful for quiet, peaceful nights in which to sleep. I am thankful for the other comforts of life like good food, a warm house, sturdy shoes, nice clothing, and indoor plumbing. The list could go on and on.


When I think about firemen, I think about security and protection. It's nice to know that someone is there ready to help in an emergency. We can also add policemen, military, and all those in security jobs to this list. This idea of security people can also extend to all who are available at a moment's notice to give needed assistance such as parents, neighbors, and other family members.


Finally, it is good to be thankful for music. Music represents all the beautiful and uplifting things in life. It embodies culture, refinement, and the attention to details that make ordinary things in life meaningful and inspiring. This category includes all of the fine arts as well as all mediums of artistic expression.


Yes, my dear daughter, I too am thankful for pillows, firemen, and music. Thanks for reminding me of how truly blessed we are.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Chelsy! I still need to work on it more, but at least it's a start.

      Delete
  2. That is so sweet and it really does make us adults think of those simple things that we don't really think of anymore. Looking forward to see future blogs.

    ReplyDelete